ACPI works!

Puna Tannehill puna at imagescape.com
Mon Sep 13 08:28:50 PDT 2004

I was also pleasantly surprised to how turning on ACPI resolved a lot
of issues with my Compaq Presario 1692.  Wireless is especially
snappy.  The only problems I'm having is with sound and touchpad.  I'm
able to load the snd_solo.ko module after reboot, but the kernel
panics when I try and add snd_solo_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf
when booting.  And although the synaptics touch pad was correctly
identified, moused panics and locks everything if I don't to some
hints massaging to make it identify as a generic ps/2 mouse.

I had to turn on ACPI by hand as my bios is blacklisted, but I've had
absolutely no troubles so far.  The cpu and power management is
noticably working, as I can sometimes eek out almost an hour more than
I used to.  I tried looking for a bios upgrade, thinking that would
resolve the issue but I can't seem to find any for a Pheonix Bios 4.0
Rev 6.

Puna