install hangs on IBM Thinkpad X23

Dan Pelleg daniel at pelleg.org
Sun Oct 3 19:09:55 PDT 2004

Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> writes:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 ignavusincognitus at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> http://s89813419.onlinehome.us/thinkpad-floppy.iso
>>
>> It's not bootable - I don't think that can be done in 1.44MB. You
>> will need a separate bootable DOS disk. I used MS-DOS 6.22. Maybe FreeDOS
>> will work.
>>
>> There is also an .img version should you need a floppy image.
>>
>> PS2.EXE is very slow to run. But it does seem to do the job. Extract PS2.MSG
>> and view it on another machine to speed things up.
>

> Update: installed Firefox on the 2000 system and got the download
> immediately. Extracted the utility directory to a floppy. Found an old DOS
> boot disk to boot the Thinkpad into DOS. Ran the uinstall utility as
> mentioned in the txt and rec'd an error saying if the error repeats to
> contact IBM. The error repeated. Ran the PS2 utility which took forever,
> then told me to run "ps2 ?" which took forever and did nothing. Nothing has
> been added to my BIOS, but at least the utility didn't nuke it.

PS2 changes the bios options by itself. So you need to type "ps2 touchpad
disable" (note: made-up example) if you want the touchpad disabled. Then
you type "ps2 speedstep off" for another change, etc. "ps2 ?" should list
all the options available for your hardware, and "ps2 ? speedstep" will
explain about the speedstep options. "ps2 ?" not outputting anything I've
never seen.

> If I have time tomorrow after work I'll try making a PXE server and see if I
> have any better luck with that. If I don't, I'm going shopping for a CDROM
> cable. Hopefully I won't still be stuck with a BIOS issue...
>
> Out of curiosity, Dan, can you send me your BIOS revision from a working
> laptop? I'm pretty sure I have the original one--it's dated from 2002.

Will do, as soon as I can conveniently reboot and check.

--

  Dan Pelleg