Atheros-Based Issues with Kismet Not Hopping

Fish fish at fish-mail.com
Sun May 30 21:46:25 PDT 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 11:15 am, Fish wrote:

<snip>

> I rebuilt my system a few days ago and have kismet (sort-of) working with
> my new ath-based 11b/g Proxim card.
>
> The problem is, according to it, it's not channel-hopping.  I have it set
> to true in my config, and the velocity is set to 5, and when I start up the
> server it says...
>
> Enabling channel hopping.
> Disabling channel splitting.
> Source 0 (wtapg): Enabling monitor mode for radiotap_fbsd_b source
> interface ath0 channel 6...
> Source 0 (wtapg): Opening radiotap_fbsd_b source interface ath0...
> WARNING:  pcap reports link type of EN10MB but we'll fake it on BSD.
> This may not work the way we want it to.
> WARNING:  Some Free- and Net- BSD drivers do not report rfmon packets
> correctly.  Kismet will probably not run correctly.  For better
> support, you should upgrade to a version of *BSD with Radiotap.
>
> According to it, it's hopping.  If you fire up the client and hit L, it
> says "server does not have channel hopping enabled".  If you fire them both
> up at once by just running kismet, you can also hit H, and it'll say it's
> allowing the source to hop channels.  Hitting L again gives you the earlier
> message that it's not able to hop.  If you run the client and server
> seperately, the message you get from hitting H does not show up on the
> client interface, but it shows up in the output from the server.
>
> I have an access point right behind my laptop that should be broadcasting
> away like mad, but the card isn't picking it up.  The best I got was the
> first time I fired it up, it picked up a garbage packet.
>
> The behavior is the same between the version in ports and the latest devel
> snapshot from the web site.
>
> Any ideas what I do now?
>
> Fish

I have some more information: I need to do more testing, but the system
appears to be able to channel-hop properly, but must be told explicitly to do
so by hitting H even it told to in the config file.  I need to go to an area
that has access points that I know are on channels aside from 6 and see if I
can pick them up, then go back by again after telling it to hop explicitly
and see if it picks them up the second time.

If I can get it that far, I'll take it up with the Kismet mailing list, and
I'll report here for completeness's sake.

Fish