DWL-650 & Kismet

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Tue May 25 14:23:11 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 01:39 pm, Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Alan B. Clegg wrote:
> > Out of the ether, Alan B. Clegg spewed forth the following bitstream:
> >> I ran kismet (from ports) directly on a 5.2.1 (from ISO) install and
> >> it did not display this behavior (I'm working on putting together
> >> another system to try to reproduce the problem).
> >
> > I must be hallucinating, as I've just done a clean re-instll from the
> > same media, and it acts the same way, WCPU of kismet_server going to
> > 107% (!), the machine going nearly comatose, and networks not being
> > found.
> >
> > I'm now really confused as to where I need to start looking, as I don't
> > have a working reference point.
> >
> > Can someone that has kismet working correctly run it with stderr pointed
> > elsewhere and see if you get the:
> >
> > "WARNING:  pcap reports link type of EN10MB but we'll fake it on BSD."
> >
> > message?
>
> Yes, this message is in my kismet's stderr.
>
> Here's my top kismet part:
>
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 13391 root      76    0  2776K  2140K select   0:06  2.34%  2.34%
> kismet_server 13389 hans      76    0  2980K  2416K select   0:00  0.00%
> 0.00% kismet_server 13393 hans      76    0  3104K  2484K select   0:00
> 0.00%  0.00% kismet_client 13394 hans      76    0  2904K  2224K select
> 0:00  0.00%  0.00% kismet_client and some more clients.
>
> WCPU is 2.34% for kismet_server.

I'm starting to remember about this stuff.  I did the kismet code to support
radiotap and freebsd.  The complaint about the DLT type is because I didn't
want to cannibalize the kismet code that handles this stuff--fixing the code
to not complain would've required major surgery and Mike wasn't keen on that
(or maybe I wasn't?).  As to the cpu usage, I believe this was an unresolved
problem with the wi driver that didn't happen with ath.  Despite seeing high
cpu usage with the wi driver things appeared to work fine for me and I ran
out of time to spend chasing the problem.  So what everyone is seeing is
probably just the way I left it when I did the original work.

kismet is a useful tool but a bit painful to debug with gdb because of the
heavy use of STL.

	Sam