stolen laptop

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 21 14:23:22 PDT 2004

> From: "Dan Langille" <dan at langille.org>
> Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:13:18 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On 21 May 2004 at 14:09, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> > > Doesn't car insurance normally cover theft-from-auto?
> >
> > no, household
>
> This I can confirm.  My insurance broker said car insurance covers
> only that which is normally afixed to the car (e.g. radio).
> Everything else is household.

This depends on the state where the insurance is issued. While this may
be the case for Dan and Randy, it's not true in all cases. In Colorado
such losses are covered by auto "comprehensive" coverage which is only
available if you have collision coverage. I think that's true in
California, too, but I have yet to have my car broken into since I moved
here many years ago (knock wood). Guess I should check on it.

In Colorado, homeowners explicitly excluded anything stolen from an
auto, RV, boat, motorcycle, or anything that is normally on wheels.

Real bummer, Dan. You should be able to replace the wireless cards with
others that are very good (better than the "Silver") for under $50
each...unless you needed those specific cards for your article. Wired
PCMCIA are available for $10 or $15. Look on ebay or watch the Sunday
ads for Best Buy and CompUSA. You might even end up buying your old
hardware on ebay. :-(
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)