stolen laptop

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri May 21 14:12:23 PDT 2004

On 21 May 2004 at 22:39, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> scribbled:
> > It's just so sickening. It gets me right in the gut.
> >
> > My laptop was stolen from my car today over lunch. It was an IBM
> > ThinkPad T22 (serial 786NKZP).
> >
> > It wasn't just the hardware. There was a notebook with it too. And
> > two wireless nics (Orinoco Gold and Silver), a PCMCIA modem, plus a
> > Linksys PCM100 10/100 Integrated PC Card. That's what sucks. It's
> > the little pieces.
> >
> > Ugh.
> > --
> > Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
> > BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/
>
> Lets start the ``Buy Dan A New Laptop Fund''. Hey if PHK can do it...
> ;)
>
> How about it, Dan? What kinda dent did it put for the tangible goods?

I found the receipt (I bought this on March 9th) for CAD$1100 but now
they are selling for CAD$860.  The two wireless NICs are worth about
CAD$120 each I think.  The wired NIC is $69.  The computer bag,
maybe, $115.  That's about $1300.

I'm doing the above math for the insurance claim.  I do appreciate
the gesture, but I don't think people will get better value for money
out of PHK's work.  :)

> (And my condolances for the inherent loss of the intellectual goods
> which are always more difficult to replace.)

Not much was lost.  Perhaps a few small notes.  It's more the set up
of a new laptop which takes time.  I need to replace it very soon as
I have a wireless article to complete...!

cheers