Orinoco Wireless Card and Monitor Mode w/ Kismet - No Longer Working?

Fish fish at fish-mail.com
Thu May 20 08:34:37 PDT 2004

On Thursday 20 May 2004 11:25 am, Sam Leffler wrote:
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 06:04 am, Fish wrote:
> > When I built from source I configured with --enable-syspcap and used
> > source=radiotap_fbsd_b,wi0,wtapb,10 as my source.
>
> You didn't mention what kernel you're running.  radiotap support should
> work fine in current.
>
> 	Sam

Sorry, thought I said I was running -current, guess not.

bash-2.05b$ uname -a
FreeBSD somethingwicked 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Sun May 16
23:57:02 EDT 2004     fish at somethingwicked:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CURRENT-TWO
i386

Here's the console output when I run the server...

bash-2.05b$ sudo kismet_server
Will drop privs to fish (1001) gid 1001
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Enabling channel hopping.
Disabling channel splitting.
Source 0 (wtapb): Enabling monitor mode for radiotap_fbsd_b source interface
wi0 channel 10...
Source 0 (wtapb): Opening radiotap_fbsd_b source interface wi0...
WARNING:  pcap reports link type of EN10MB but we'll fake it on BSD.
This may not work the way we want it to.
WARNING:  Some Free- and Net- BSD drivers do not report rfmon packets
correctly.  Kismet will probably not run correctly.  For better
support, you should upgrade to a version of *BSD with Radiotap.
Spawned channelc control process 12761
Dropped privs to fish (1001) gid 1001
Allowing clients to fetch WEP keys.
Logging networks to /home/fish/kismet/20040520-Kismet-1-network.txt
Logging cryptographically weak packets
to /home/fish/kismet/20040520-Kismet-1-weak.txt
Logging cisco product information
to /home/fish/kismet/20040520-Kismet-1-cisco.txt
Logging data to /home/fish/kismet/20040520-Kismet-1-dump.txt
Writing data files to disk every 300 seconds.
Mangling encrypted and fuzzy data packets.
Tracking probe responses and associating probe networks.
Reading AP manufacturer data and defaults from /usr/local/etc/ap_manuf
Reading client manufacturer data and defaults from /usr/local/etc/client_manuf
Dump file format: wiretap (local code) dump
Crypt file format: airsnort (weak packet) dump
Kismet 2004.04.R1 (Kismet)
Logging data networks weak cisco
Listening on port 2501.
Allowing connections from 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
Registering builtin client/server protocols...
Registering requested alerts...
Registering builtin timer events...
Gathering packets...
^CDidn't detect any networks, unlinking network list.
Didn't detect any Cisco Discovery Packets, unlinking cisco dump
Didn't capture any packets, unlinking dump file
Didn't see any weak encryption packets, unlinking weak file
Sending termination request to channel control child 12761...
Waiting for channel control child 12761 to exit...
WARNING: Sometimes cards don't always come out of monitor mode
         cleanly.  If your card is not fully working, you may need to
         restart or reconfigure it for normal operation.
Kismet exiting.

Anything look amiss to anyone?

Thanks,

Fish