Best way to install FBSD5.2.1 and Windows XP what proceedure to follow.

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue May 18 15:32:39 PDT 2004

Kevin Oberman wrote:

>> From: "Eric Parsonage" <eric at eparsonage.com>
>> Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 00:28:59 +0930
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite A30 whic currently has WIndows XP home on it
>> but it is brand new so I dont mind trashing it and starting from scratch.
>>
>> I want to Dual boot with FBSD 5.2.1 and Windows XP Pro. I need to put XP
>> home on the machine before XP Pro upgrades it so I get all the toshiba
>> utilities.
>>
>> Can anybody give me any advice on what order to do everything in and what
>> tools to use ?
>
> Leave XP on the disk and use Partition Magic or some similar tool to
> shrink the XP partition to the desired size. I would try to keep it
> rather small (by XP standards). Add two FAT32 partitions, one for
> FreeBSD and one as a scratch space accessible from both FreeBSD and
> XP. (FreeBSD can only read NTFS partitions but both systems can read and
> write FAT.) You will have to figure out how to split up the space
> according to how the system will be used.

That is pretty much what I did. I went with the Windows XP boot loader
too.

Please note: You'll definately want to enable your windows XP recovery
console from the boot loader menu BEFORE resizing your WXP filesystem as
you will most likely have to repair it after the resize operation.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,