CPx problems (was Re: two batteries)

Kirill Bezzubets kirill at solaris.ru
Thu May 13 02:43:57 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:04:53AM +0200, jeremie le-hen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw on freebsd-mobile@ that you have a Dell Latitude CPx.  I encounter
> some problem for configuring the video card in console mode : I did not
> find any way to use VESA mode.  Did you ?

Which VESA mode do you mean? If it's all about VESA_800x600 -
there's no chance - check out my post from May, 11th answering
"why i can not set VESA_800x600."

I do use 80x30 mode - that's the best what ATI Mobility M1 can do fine.
(I don't like 80x50/80x60 and for some reason these modes are unstable).

> Aside from that, it seems that ACPI is not running very well, since I
> cannot make my laptop wake up correctly after a sleep.  Is ACPI working
> perfectly on yours ?

neuromancer# sysctl -a | grep S3
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3 <------
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S3   <------
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3

By default, sleep button and lid switch put the machine in S1 state.
I'm not sure why, but wake up doesn't turn video on. Except of that
(e.g. networking) everything seems fine.

Setting up sysctls mentioned above solves the problem.

> In fact I wonder if my CPx is not "biodegrading" itself : I had to change
> the keyboard multiple times (it appears this is a motherboard problem :
> when the controller is to warm, keys '8', 'i', 'k' and ',' don't work any
> more), my touchpad doesn't work any more either and ACPI seems to be
> broken.

Upgrade the BIOS. Latest is A14 for CPxH.

By the way, which version of FreeBSD you're running?

--
BR,
Kirill Bezzubets                                CASE-RIPE CASE-RIPN
CTO / Head Of N.O.C.                            mailto:kirill at solaris.ru
Solaris ISP & Telecommunications Co. Ltd        http://www.solaris.ru