Laptop ACPI question

Markie mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Sat May 1 15:03:20 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "The MiP RvL" <the_mip_rvl at myrealbox.com>
To: <freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Laptop ACPI question

|>I will have to try Linux or Windows if I can't get FreeBSD ACPI working
and
|>see if it gets me any more battery life I guess! Such a shame, it doesn't
|>seem that bad of a laptop for what I want... but if I have to use it on
|mains it's not as useful as it could be!
|
|I have a P1 300mhz, which had no battery life left,
|except from running from one power outlet to the other.
|
|What I did, I found an old ibook battery, the cells were just fine, except
for the electronics.
|I got the Li-Ion cells out and soldered them onto the battery electronics
of laptop, and Lo |and behold, it worked.
|Li-ion cells have about 3,6 volts, you need to have the same amount of
cells as your old |battery though.

|I now get about 2,5 to 3 hours of battery life, doing basic stuff.

Wow! That's pretty brave of you doing something like that. I thought Li-ion
cells had to be from the same batch or there is a risk of fire or
something?

I don't think the battery in this is a Li-ion one though :os I think it's
one of those plain normal batteries, whatever they are? Maybe I could do
the same thing ish with another normal battery cell? An actual replacement
battery is £70... rather expensive!!