Suspend/Resume problems with Thinkpad 240

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Mar 25 06:09:31 PST 2004

Jan Richling wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed FreeBSD-current on my ThinkPad 240 computer (Celeron 400,
> 192 MB RAM, 12 GB hdd). After doing a lot of configuration and solving
> minor problems now everything works as expected (pccard, usb mouse, usb
> camera, ps2 mouse, X, WinModem, sound). The only thing not working is
> suspend/resume.

CURRENT has just undergone major changes related to SMP and threading. The
ATA driver has been completely rewritten and is being called ATAng now. This
had a major effect on suspend/resume functionality.

There is no -STABLE for the 5.x series yet, so that means that things will
continue to be UNstable for some time.

Having said that, I run 5.2.1-RELEASE on my IBM Thinkpad A30p. Suspend/Resume
works for me, but I had to remove GLX from my XF86Config file, otherwise the
machine would hang on resume if I was running X11.

However, even my machine will hang after two or three suspend/resume cycles.
This is a regression from 5.1-RELEASE where it used to take about 10 suspend/
resume cycles to lock the machine. Also, ACPI suspend/resume used to work for
me under 5.1-RELEASE, but it's totally broken in 5.2.1-RELEASE. I saw a recent
ACPI commit that might address the problem though.

The USB issue you describe is known. I don't know the specifics, but apparently
someone is working on it, or has the issue on their ToDo list. It happens to
me too.

These are just some of the things you're going to have to live with if you
choose to run the development version of FreeBSD instead of the stable version.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,