ThinkPads with IBM a/b/g wireless card

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Tue Mar 23 13:32:02 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:30:01PM -0500, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm considering upgrading my ThinkPad to some newer ThinkPad
> model, on which I would be installing FreeBSD 5.2 (I'm running
> 4.x now, with no problems). Based on some previous postings to
> this list and other places, it seems that most things will
> work, but the one thing I wanted to ask about was
> wireless. One of IBM's wireless options is described as "IBM
> 11 a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI card"; however, the "Help me
> decide" popup only refers to "IBM 11 a/b Wi-Fi wireless".
>
> Does anyone know what the a/b/g card actually is, and does
> it work with FreeBSD? I'd rather get this than an 802.11b-
> only card, assuming it will work.

I believe it has uses the atheros chipset and will work on 5.x using
the ath driver.  I have one of these cards but it only works in IBM
thinkpads and I have a mitac so I had to get a different one.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr at inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>