boot from usb hd

David Bauer davidbauer at arcor.de
Sat Mar 20 08:04:53 PST 2004

Hello,

how can I boot FreeBSD from an external USB drive if the BIOS does not
support this ?
I could install 5.2 on the USB disk without problems. The only minor
problem was that the system did not reboot correctly after finishing
installation. But if I boot from live CD then I can mount the slices from
the USB drive and all seems to be OK.
So the only remaining problem is: How to boot this.
Is it possible to boot some kind of mini kernel from floppy, which makes
the USB drive visible and than boot the FreeBSD kernel from the USB drive ?
I experimented a bit but so far without success.
So any hints are wellcome :-)

Thanks so lot,
David.