Problems with a Toshiba 503 Satellite

Jilles Tjoelker jilles+fbsd-mobile at stack.nl
Mon Mar 15 10:30:14 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:12:29PM -0500, Alejandro 'lanjoe9' Valenzuela wrote:
> One last question: how do I "rescan" the USB ports so the
> computer can detect when I plug in a generic mouse after
> FreeBSD has started? If I connect or disconnect it after
> FreeBSD has started, the computer simply ignores it (it
> doesn't even supply power, the mouse's light does not turn
> on) and it ignores the touchpad as well.

The usbd(8) daemon is required for USB hot-plug to work. I know of at
least one other problem:

Probably, your machine has more than one USB bus. By default (FreeBSD
4.x), only the device node for the first bus (/dev/usb0) is created and
usbd(8) will only service that first bus. To solve that, use MAKEDEV(8)
to create the device nodes for the other buses (you can see in dmesg how
many you need).

--
Jilles Tjoelker