PowerNow in mobile AthlonXP

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Thu Mar 11 10:06:02 PST 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:17:11AM +0100, antic_eye wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I googled all the web for a solution, so I hope you could help me. I
> have a PackardBell Laptop with a mobile athlon xp inside. I installed
> FreeBSD 5.2.1 3 weeks ago and everything works fine. Even the screen
> flickering under x I fixed (it lasts me one week :o)).
>
> My problem is, that I dont know how to trottle the cpu frequency. Linux
> has the cpufreqd. Is there anything appropriate in BSD? ACPI is up and
> running (expect the StandBy mode - it doesn't work)

I think Nate Lawson is working on getting a generic CPU frequency
maniplation system added.  My athlon laptop also runs full speed all the
time and has no throttle options in the acpi sysctls.

hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: 0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_history: 42619368/0

I am patiently awaiting Nate's code so that I can convince my CPU fan to
at least slow down.  It is somewhat annoying at it's current level.

I think he's making some progress.  He made a commit a few days ago that
looked like it might be the first step, newbusification of the CPUs.

lambert at lambertfam.org       http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html