ath wepmode

Dylan Wylie d.wylie at hccnet.nl
Tue Mar 2 13:30:45 PST 2004

I need a hand her guys and girls;

I can't seem to get this 3com 3CRPAG175 11a/b/g Card running correctly with
wepmode enabled.

Without wep this works fine (and wep disabled at AP):
ifconfig_ath0="inet 10.0.0.145 ssid domain.org"

When I enable wepmode like such (and at AP obviously):

ifconfig_ath0="inet 10.0.0.145 ssid domain.org wepmode on wepkey hexdeckey"
or (I was tipped), note "" around wepkey;
ifconfig_ath0="inet 10.0.0.145 ssid domain.org wepmode on wepkey "hexdeckey""

..either of the the two latter results in ath0 claiming to have "associated" and the
LED blinks reassuringly that all is well.
HOWEVER: I can't get any data trough what so ever.
When I purposly use a wrong wepkey, things are more clearly wrong, since it does
not "associate" and the  LED will blink rapidly, as it should when it's trying to get the
connection up.

It's a Compaq presario 1600 running 5.2 -CURRENT, and, as mentioned, a 3com
3CRPAG175 pccard. The access point is a Asus WL-500g.

(off-topic tip: take a look at the WL-500 spec's; it's got usb and yes, usb drives work!
(ftp though). And there's some hacking going on as well (webdav?):)

Any pointers please? Googled allover the bloody place.
And yeah, I know wep "ain't all that", but it all adds up.

Thanks,
DW