Higher-res external monitors under X

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Feb 16 09:41:51 PST 2004

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I've asked a variant of this question elsewhere, so I
> apologize for anyone seeing it again. To reduce it to what I
> think is the simplest form:
>
> I'm running XFree86 4.3.0 on an IBM ThinkPad X23 under FreeBSD
> 4.8, with Gnome/Metacity. The built-in screen has a maximum
> resolution of 1024x768. I would like to be able to plug in an
> external monitor and have that monitor display with a higher
> resolution, without having to restart X (and thus have to shut
> down all my running X apps, etc.).
>
> How can I accomplish this, if it's even possible?

I don't think it is possible. Maybe someday soon though. The new
RandR extensions should allow for on-the-fly resolution changes,
but unfortunately I don't think any window managers have taken
advantage of the new functionality yet. I think I saw KDE support
in CVS though, so it should be available soon.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,