ath card problem

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Thu Aug 5 14:34:53 PDT 2004

Sam Leffler writes:
 > [...]
 > I have asked for help in updating the Atheros code but gotten few
 > in the process of releasing yet another new hal and may have a few
 > days to try and update the FreeBSD code to include it.  Otherwise you
 > can always use the ndis support to run the windows driver.

Hi Sam,

There are a lot of maybe's in here, but I thought I'd see if I sounded
useful....

I'm about to buy an IBM T42 laptop, I can choose between an Intel
Centrino 2200bg [ndis only], a Cisco aeronet [uses the an driver], or
an abg mini-pci card that's supposed to be based on an a Atheros
5001X.

I'm a reasonably competent geek, but haven't done any serious kernel
work.  I am methodical and not prone to hysteria.

I'd been planning to get the atheros based card, because it's sounded
like you'd put together a nice driver.  On the other hand, you're
making it sound like we haven't kept up with it very well.

First question, would the aeronet be a better choice?

Second question, would a naive set of hands with *some but not huge
amounts* of spare time be useful to you?  It would probably be several
weeks before the hardware even arrives.....

g.