Atheros 5212 on a Fujitsu S6120 laptop

Steve G ryvn at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 14:05:33 PDT 2004

Hi all,

  I've been trying to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 on my laptop.  Everything seems to work pretty well, but I can't get the wireless card to work (it's an internal mini-PCI card).  Looking through the forum posts, I found I had to set the loader.conf options to

     hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1

This statement was to allow the computer to even boot in order to install 5.2.1.

I've scoured the web and this list trying to find possible solutions, but I can't seem to find any answers.  The specific error I get by using 'dmesg' is

     ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xd0200000-0xd020ffff irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci1
     ath0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 5ghz radio 4.6
     ath0: unable to collect channel list from hal
     device_probe_and_attach: ath0 attach returned 22

I checked my kernel to make certain that it was compiled with support for the atheros card.  I'm at a total impasse at the moment.  Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to do?  Can anyone tell me what the returned 22 means?  I can't seem to find any documentation on that particular error either.  I'd love to get the wireless working properly!
Stephen G