Hams Report 85-mile 802.11b File Transfers @ Oregon

Wilko Bulte wkb at freebie.xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 14 13:20:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 01:05:04PM -0700, Scott Weikart wrote:

Well, I recently tried an old 25" satellite dish and a biquad feeder
and we easily 'saw' APs at 3-4 miles away.  Without trying anything fancy.
You need line of sight to the AP in most cases.  Hills help.

What counts that Mr Evil Eavesdropper can get listening access to your
AP well away from your location.

W/

> I would assume the hams used directional antennas on both ends, and
> carefully pointed the antennas at each other.
>
> So, this may have little relevance to monitoring people's
> mostly-omnidirectional wireless LANs.  Well, maybe you could so some
> math to make the ham's numbers scale, but I would guess there are
> more direct methods to measure/compute risk.
>
> -scott
>
> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 10:21 am, richard childers / kg6hac wrote:
> > Those of you inclined towards worrying about eavesdroppers will find the
> > following interesting ... QST Magazine (or was it NASA Tech Briefs?)
> > recently reported that two people successfully achieved connectivity and
> > exchanged files across a span of 85 miles, using COTS technology and
> > antennas optimized for operation in the 2.4 gHz frequency.
> >
> > People operating 802.11b networks in corporate environments, take note -
> > your networks can probably be monitored from anywhere within a few
> > [dozen?] miles of the antenna, depending upon obstructions, and perhaps
> > from over the horizon, as well.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -- richard
---end of quoted text---