Activating ACPI suspend on lid close?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Apr 13 09:09:55 PDT 2004

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

>I'm running 5.2-CURRENT on an IBM ThinkPad T41p. Though I had
>originally had some of the problems others here have reported,
>as with USB on resume, things seems to have cleared up by now;
>I'm not sure why (perhaps something recent with ACPI support
>in CURRENT has helped).
>
>I can successfully suspend with "zzz" or "acpiconf -s 3", and
>resume by hitting the power button. But shutting the cover
>does nothing. Opening the cover, after having suspended with
>either of the above, _does_ resume, however.
>
>Is this something I need to configure somewhere, or is it
>something that will never work, or what?

Here's what I have set up on my Dell D600:
in /etc/sysctl.conf:
hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active=1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE

and in /etc/devd.conf:
notify 10 {
        match "system"          "ACPI";
        match "subsystem"       "Lid";
        action                  "/etc/rc.lid $notify";
};

and /etc/rc.lid looks like:
sync && sync && sync

if [ $1 = 0x00 ]; then
        logger -t Lid Close at `date +'%Y%m%d %H:%M:%S'`
        /etc/rc.suspend acpi 3
else
        logger -t Lid Open at `date +'%Y%m%d %H:%M:%S'`
        /etc/rc.resume acpi 3
fi

Hope that helps.

Eric