IBM R50 + WLAN

orm.hager at sercon.de orm.hager at sercon.de
Sun Apr 11 20:17:00 PDT 2004

Hello,
I was able to install my Thinkpad R50 with 5.2.1 RELEASE from the CD:

#FreeBSD elazul.frankfurt.de.ibm.com 5.2.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE
#0: Mon Feb 23 20:45:55 GMT 2004
#root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Later on I cvsupped the latest ports and src to get NDISulator.

I localized the appropiate IBM XP driver for the wlan card ( iprowiir.exe
==> w70n51.inf resp. sys).
Compilation of ndis and if_ndis worked without problems.

I loaded the modules:

#Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/ndis.ko" at 0xc0d343ec.
#Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/if_ndis.ko" at 0xc0d34498.

Now I see my wireless device with ifconfig !!
And the indicator light flickers!

#ndis0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 10000000 mtu 1500
#            ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

But it seems to be unable to get the MAC adress??

Dmesg and /var/log/messages give strange results also, there are no modes
for 11b found?

#ndis0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter> mem
0xc0214000-0xc0214fff irq 11 at device 2.0 on pci2
#ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.1
#ndis0: 11b rates:
#ndis0: XXX: driver didn't set ifq_maxlen

I thought that maybe the device and the interface need a last call:

#ifconfig ndis0 up

This always results in a system crash related to ifconfig.

Has someone seen a wlan interface not getting the MAC address?
What can I do to debug this situation further?

Any comments highly appreciatet!

--Orm