ThinkPad X31 Hibernation

Niki Denev nike_d at cytexbg.com
Sat Apr 10 04:38:14 PDT 2004

Li-Lun Wang (Leland Wang) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently got my new ThinkPad X31, which is the first laptop of my own.
> Having
> 	hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
> being set and ACPI loaded, FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT runs mostly happily.
>
> However, I am having problems about suspension (S3) and hibernation (S4).
> After setting
> 	hw.acpi.sleep_button_state=S3
> 	hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
> 	hw.acpi.standby_state=S3
> 	hw.acpi.suspend_state=S4
> Fn-F4 seems to be working, but the LCD backlight does not turn off (it just
> blanks out). After resuming from S3, USB and firewire do not work. I tried
> to kill usbd and unload usb.ko before going to S3, but kldunload keeps
> telling me
> 	kldunload: can't unload file: Device not configured
> and refuses to unload it. If I have X running when entering S3, X hangs
> even I switched to console before sleeping. I tried
> 	options SC_NO_SUSPEND_VTYSWITCH
> but in vain.
>
> What is of more concern is that I can't have my hibernation work. I have
> created a hibernation partition using phdisk, but nothing happens when I
> press Fn-F12 under FreeBSD. If I use
> 	acpiconf -s 4
> to force it hibernate, it does look as if it is entering hibernation.
> The Moon LED flashes and then the power turns off in a few seconds.
> But when I press the power button and choose to boot FreeBSD in
> BootEasy (Is it normal that the boot manager still runs when waking
> up from hibernation? Windows seems to work this way...), it looks perfectly
> as if it is a normal boot-up, which means that it complains about not-
> properly-unmounted / and begins to do background fsck, and not like a
> wake-up at all. Am I missing some important points to do?
>
> Sincerely,
> Leland Wang
>
> --
>  /-------\      /-\     /--------\
>  \--\ /--/      | |     \--\ /---/
>     | |    /----/ \----\/--/ \---\
>   /-/ \-\  \----/ /----/\--\ /---/
>   \-\ /-/      /  \     /--/ \---\
>     | |       / /\ \    \--\ /---/ /\
> /---/ \---\/-/ /  \ \---\  | \----/ |
> \---------/\--/    \----/  \--------/
>   e-mail address: llwang at infor.org

I'm experiencing the same problems with my X31,
after suspend the screen blanks, and actually turns off the backlight but
only for a few seconds, then the backlight turns on again... even when the
lid is closed....

And for the hibernation thing, i don't believe that you can make it work,
it seems that the newer thinkpads, don't have bios assisted S4 state,
(hw.acpi.s4bios). That in my understanding means that the machine relies on
the host operating system to do the hibernation. And as far as i know, this
works only under Windows XP.

--niki