IBM TP 600E - Xircom Cardbus

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Sep 23 15:40:09 PDT 2003

> Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:17:14 +1000
> From: Jason Friedland <jfriedland at ozemail.com.au>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hi there
>
> I'm after a few pointers for installing FreeBSD 5.1 on a TP 600E. I have
> installed it on this machine previously but couldn't get my Xircom
> CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + 56K Modem card working so threw the towel in.
>
> I have Slackware 9 on it right now and it works flawlessly after a bit
> of tweaking (well, all the devices such as the Xircom, sound, DVD work)
> but really want to get 5.1 going.
>
> After googling around for FreeBSD on a 600E I found an article
> (focussing on 4.7) which suggested I recompile the kernel in order to
> get the Xircom working. I did this, rebooted and still no ethernet.
>
> I know this is a bit vague but if anyone has some tips on how to get
> this card going I'd be most grateful.

First, CardBus is only supported in 5.x, so 4.7 will not do it for
you.

I have used this exact card with my old 600E on 5.?, but I am not sure
when I last tried it. It's possible that there has been a regression,
but it does still work with my T30, so I expect it still will work on
my 600E.

One key to the 600e is to turn off ACPI. APM works just fine, but the
ACPI has serious problems. I have not tried it for a while, so the
situation might have improved, but I'd start with APM and get things
working.

Build the GENERIC configuration and it should "just work". The modem
will be si04/cuaa0. The Ethernet should be dc0.

You may have to add several lines to /boot/loader.conf. On my T30 I have:
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"
hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"
apm_load="1"

I think the same values will work for the 600E, but it is at another
office, so I can't confirm that right now.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)