XFree86 problem when on battery and AGP/ACPI

Martin nakal at web.de
Wed Sep 10 07:56:31 PDT 2003

Am Di, 2003-09-09 um 19.53 schrieb James Earl:
> When the system freezes up, the mouse does move, but jumps slowly from
> place to place, and the HDD light flashes occasionally.
>
> If I remove 'device agp' in the kernel, everything works fine (with
> ACPI enabled), or if I disable ACPI everything works fine (with AGP
> enabled).  My guess would be an ACPI problem... and everyones probably
> saying just disable ACPI!  :)
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem?

Yes. Similar. I have a Thinkpad R40 running current, too.

I don't know if removing ACPI and/or agp solves the problem. I will
check soon. I also don't know if the problem occures only on
battery.

(Btw: in the i386/conf/NOTES file you will see the comment that one
should not load agp as module when using radeondrm:
# mga requires AGP in the kernel, and it is recommended
# for AGP r128 and radeon cards.
)

After running XFree (Radeon 7500) for a longer time, I cannot
restart it anymore, because it _seems_ to freeze up the system.
I have tried to check what happens and managed to login with ssh.

After running top, I could see XFree eating up the CPU >100%.
Shutdown from ssh does not work in this situation somehow
(it does not unmount properly and the XFree display stays
 frozen, sshd gets killed).

I have this strange HDD activity, too, as you described above.

---

I guess this all is related to the Radeon 7500 problem. And I have
a question about it here:

Is it normal behavior that when starting a second instance of XFree
(on :1 for example) the Radeon-GLX-extension fails to load? You can
reproduce it very easily.

Martin

PS.: problems with Radeon 7500 have been already described on
the freebsd-current mailing list many times.