What do you think of the new 3COM cards with X-Jack ?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 9 11:10:13 PDT 2003

On ebay I could get 2 of them.

Do two of these cards make it into one notebook
if the two PCMCIA slots are directly one over the other ?

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 if that matters for you
to answer my question.

Do you think this X-Jack is more robust as the usual PCMCIA
network card adapter cable ?

I have currently much trouble with my Xircom RealPort Ethernet 10/100
+Modem 56 (REM56G-100). The plastic connector for the RJ-45 plug is
of so poor quality that the cable doesn't sit tight in the slot,
which often leads to connection disruption if somebody occasionally
moves the cable on the desk, especially if the cat5 cable is tight.

Another question: I noticed on the FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List,
that this eBay card is supported under FreeBSD 5.1

	3Com 3CXFE575CT

Could somebody other confirm, if it runs under -current ?
And perhaps 4.8-stable as well ?

On eBay I could get two of these but with a HP label on it,
therefore the cards are cheaper (~ $30 ...).
They are described as:
	Manufacturer: 3Com
	Model: 3CXFE575CT (3Com); F1626B (HP)

Do you know if these HP (labeled) 3Com cards are really 3Coms
with no ill side effects and if the price is o.k. ?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3045854871&category=21902&rd=1

Thanks for any help !

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/