Another ThinkPad R40 setup

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Sep 5 14:37:13 PDT 2003

> Date: Fri,  5 Sep 2003 14:14:50 -0700
> From: jdearl at telus.net
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> Well, I sold my Toshiba Satellite A10, and ended up getting a ThinkPad R40
> (2722-CU2 on ibm.ca).  I've been working on setting up 5.1 on it today, and have
> made some progress thanks to the previous experience of others on freebsd-mobile.
>
> The first problem was with the fxp device, and "device timeouts." I got past
> that by commenting out sio and pcmcia related devices in the kernel.  I still
> need to go back and see if it was sio or pcmcia stuff, or part of the pcmcia
> devices.

Just disable sio1 in /boot/device.hints. No reason to disable stuff
that you actually have! Just add hint.sio.1.disabled="1". That will
free up an IRQ.

> Next XFree86 would core dump.  My R40 has the ATI Radeon M6 LY.  What seemed to
> fix it was intel_agp.c rev 1.17 which was referenced in another e-mail here
> regarding an Inspiron notebook having the same problem.
>
> I have ACPI enabled, although I haven't tested the various ACPI functionality
> yet.  As FreeBSD boots I get alot of errors such as:
>
> "ACPI-1287: *** Error: Method execution failed [\\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__._INI]
> (Node 0xc400f1e0), AE_NOT_EXIST"

This looks like 5.1-Release. These should be fixed in CURRENT and can
be ignored in most cases during RELEASE. (It was a chicken/egg issue
that Nate fixed doing some rather "odd" things to get some of the ACPI
code to run before it would normally be started.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)