[4.5-R]Why I Am I Seeing This Traffic ?

The Jetman jetman516 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 14:56:27 PDT 2003

    Folks:  Just seeking info here, as I don't believe anything is wrong.

    I use fixed wireless for Internet access.  In the last couple of days,
I've been seeing DHCPDISCOVER msgs coming into my gateway's log.  Obviously,
some nearby Wi-Fi user is trying to get onto the 'net and their system
doesn't have an IP.

    What I don't understand is that my ISP uses WEP (and I obviously use
the WEP key on my router), so shouldn't that filter out this mystery
node's traffic ?

    As I say, this isn't a problem, bec in addition to IPFW rules to
stop him, my DHCP daemon doesn't service that iface.  So eventually,
this knucklehead will go away.  I'm simply curious.  Later....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+      Nothing causes self-delusion quite so readily as power.       =
===  jetman516 at hotmail.com  ======================  Liu Binyan  ===