apm problem on Thinkpad T21, 4.8-RELEASE

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Oct 21 20:13:53 PDT 2003

> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:00:27 -0400
> From: Guy Middleton <guy at obstruction.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>

> --LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X
>
> I have 4.8-RELEASE on a Thinkpad T21, dual boot with W2K.  When I close the
> lid, it goes into suspend state (which I don't want).
>
> Is there some way to disable this?
>
> I tried to find a BIOS setting for this, no luck.  It works as I want when
> running W2K.

The problem is that Windows sets BIOS dynamically from the registry at
boot time.  That's why the Windows setting is not seen from FreeBSD.

To change this in 4.8, boot Windows, bring up a command window, and
use the ps2 command to modify the BIOS settings in CMOS memory. Those
will "stick" and work for FreeBSD.

Try 'ps2 ?' for help. I don't remember the parameter that needs
changing, but it was not hard to find. You can do 'ps2 ? PARAM' to get
details on each parameter. Many can be useful with FreeBSD.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)