nvidia.ko

Kenneth Culver culverk at sweetdreamsracing.biz
Mon Oct 20 07:41:55 PDT 2003

Quoting "C. Kukulies" <kuku at www.kukulies.org>:

> What is the recommended way to use the nvidia driver under FreeBSD-current?
> WITH_FREEBSD_AGP or not? (Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ Geforce2 Go)
>
> I have agb_load="YES"
> nvidia_load="YES"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf
>
> At present I get a cold boot when I startx. Screen becomes dark and after
> a couple of seconds I get the DELL Logo, rebooting.
>
> I want to use OpenGL so using the XFree86 driver (nv) is not an alternative.
>
> --

In my experience the nvidia agp driver is faster, but also crashes more. If all
you did was the above, you are still using the nvidia driver. You have to
recompile the nvidia driver with the WITH_FREEBSD_AGP to use the agp driver
that comes with FreeBSD. When I used the FreeBSD AGP driver, I had no stability
problems.

Ken