best known methods for dual boot with XP with functional hibernate?

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Sun Oct 19 20:42:45 PDT 2003

John Reynolds <johnjen at reynoldsnet.org> probably said:
> I believe that the hibernate function uses a special partition to
> dump RAM to, correct?

If the BIOS supports hibernation (rather than the OS doing it) this
is generally the case, yes.

> I'd like to nuke this current setup and go with a dual boot
> configuration, but I want to be able to have XP utilize whatever it
> needs to to hibernate correctly (and maybe even FreeBSD too if ACPI
> works).

XP uses a file in the normal filesystem to hibernate to, since it
deals with it itself rather than letting the BIOS do it for it.
There may be issues with the partition id of the XP partition for it
to find the hibernation file, I'm unsure.

What I did was reinstall my machine (IBM X30) from the recovery CDs
and then resize the resultant XP NTFS partition down to make room for
FreeBSD and the suspend to disk partition, create the suspend to disk
partition and install FreeBSD in the remaining space. Works fine, both
OSen will boot and hibernate. I use the XP bootloader to choose
between FreeBSD and XP 9a web search will find instructions for doing
this if you want to do it).

P.

--
pir