XFree86 won't run on 5.1 installed on Lifebook S-2020.

WiggTekMicro Corp wiggtekmicro at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 21:32:17 PDT 2003

I am having problems getting xfree86 version 4.3 on thge 5.1-Release
edition to run on my Fujitsu S-2020 Lifebook.  I have installed Redhat 9
and Mandrake 9.2, and both work fine with graphics.  What is the major
malfunction with BSD.  It is definately installed, because I can get it
up without the x-server, however, if I type 'startx' it prints out the
fatal error part, and says that monitor:0 is bad, or something like
that.  I have to linux tripple booted on my laptop, now, however, I put
BSD on there first, and encountered the problem with 3.3 and now 4.3
x-server versions...

If you are unfamiliar with this brand, the 'S' models are the medium
mobility with the optional AMD-XP-M processors, labeled with 2000 as the
number index.  The graphics card is the ATI Radeon IGP 320M. Under
linux, the VESA generic works fine, however, on FBSD-5.1, there is no
such luck.  I am not sure if the error is from the monitor setting, or
the VESA setting.

I really want to be able to use FBSD-5.1 on my laptop, so I really would
like to discuss this further.  My AOL/MSN messenger name(s) is(are)
marteswigg.

Can anyone assist me in this delemma?