SITECOM WLAN WL-011

Stuart Walsh stu at ipng.org.uk
Sat Oct 11 07:12:23 PDT 2003

On Sat Oct 11, 03:31P +0200, Christian Brueffer wrote:

> >   Tiarnan> Hello list-- I recently purchased a SITECOM "WLAN" card,
> >   Tiarnan> which purports to suport 802.11b networking. My FreeBSD
> >   Tiarnan> system does not recognize the card, giving only:
> >
> >   Tiarnan> The only information about the card in the "documentation"
> >   Tiarnan> is:
> >   Tiarnan> Name: Sitecom Model: WL-011
> >
> > Hi Tiarnan,
> >
> > the website of SITECOM refers only to a GPLed Linux driver
> > (http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/) for the WL-011.
> > I don't think that ATMEL WLAN chipsets are currently supported by FreeBSD.
> >
> > Reinhard
> >
> > P.S.: I am willing to donate a SITECOM WL-011 and WL-012 (Prism2 USB)
> > if a FreeBSD developer would find them useful for driver development.
>
> Stuart Walsh <stu at ipng.org.uk> is currently writing a driver for the atmel
> chipset, you may want to contact him.
>
> AFAIK it is at least halfway working.

If it's the USB version, you might find this thread of use to you:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=318484+0+current/freebsd-current
Add your vendor/product ids to the driver and away you go. (contact me
if you need help doing this)

If however, you have the pc card version of the atmel chipset, you are
somewhat out of luck.  I do intend to do the driver for these cards at
some point, but I have yet to find one which FreeBSD can read properly.

The Prism2 USB however, is currently unsupported, although it should be
a relatively simple task to port the wi driver to the usb chips.

Regards,

Stuart