Setting Up Dual Head Video

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Fri Oct 10 03:19:48 PDT 2003

Hello list,

maybe my grasp of the english language is somewhat incomplete but I
still don't quite understand the Rod's original problem (and probably
should've asked more precisely).

Rod, do you want both displays to display the same stuff at the same
time at different resolutions?  If so, that won't work as far as I can
tell, and even if some hardware was downscaling things so both
displays showed the same picture at different resolutions I strongly
suspect that this would make text hard to read.

If you want to use higher resolution when an external monitor is
connected but switch down to whatever your LCD has to offer that
however is possible.  You put this in your XF86Config (in my case this
is a Toshiba Tecra S1 with a Radeon Mobility 9000, driving the
external CRT at 1600x1200):

        Section "Device"
                [...]
                Option      "PanelOff" "True"
                Option      "CloneHSync"  "30-130"
                Option      "CloneVRefresh" "50-160"
        EndSection

and

        Section "Screen"
                [...]
                SubSection "Display"
                           Depth 24
                           Modes "1600x1200" "1024x768"
                EndSubSection
        EndSection

Just make sure to set your BIOS to autochoose the display instead of
using both simultaneously (which would limit the display to the
greatest resolution both devices support).  This will get you an
effect similar to what Jamie said about Windows.  If you want anything
fancier I agree with Jamie the best idea is a set of different
XF86Configs and maybe a script that asks what you want whenever you
boot (another one on that long list of things I want to do...).

Cheers,

    Ben

--
Dipl. Inform.                  Tel.:  +49 (0) 6151 - 971 823
Benedikt Stockebrand	       Mobil: +49 (0) 177 - 41 73 985
Am Karlshof 1a		       Mail:  me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
D-64287 Darmstadt	       WWW:   http://www.benedikt-stockebrand.de