Setting Up Dual Head Video

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 9 03:58:40 PDT 2003

In message: <kkfismz8jiu.fsf at anvil.devnull.benedikt-stockebrand.de>
            Benedikt Stockebrand <me at benedikt-stockebrand.de> writes:
: Hi Rod,
:
: Rod Person <rodperson at comcast.net> writes:
:
: > I have a IBM ThinkPad R40 with an ATI mobilty Radeon.
: > I have an 17" Compaq V700 monitor external monitor. What I would like to do is
: > set up XFree86 with a resolution of 1280x1024 on the external monitor and
: > 1024x768 on the laptops LCD screen. Presently, if I boot with the montor on
: > and connected the laptop will get a virtual resolution of 1280x1024.
:
: I am not quite sure I understand what you want.  If the external
: monitor runs at 1280x1024 then what is the LCD to display if it can
: only do 1024x768?

In the laptops I've had in the past, the lcd panel will pan around the
1280x1024 area exposing only 1024x768.

Warner