[acpi-jp 2725] Re: Dell D800 ACPI Issues

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Wed Oct 8 10:05:19 PDT 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Mike Hunter wrote:

> > > Here are some results:
> > >
> > > The computer does not crash when I close the lid, but the lcd does not turn
> > > off.
> >
> > Does the lcd go off properly when you use the lid switch with acpi disabled?
>
> Wow...it does!  I noticed it gives sound playback some hickups, but other
> than that the compuer keeps humming along, and the lcd goes off.
>
> Am I going to do thermal damage to my laptop if I keep it running with the
> lid closed?

You should check sysctl hw.acpi.thermal and look at the temperature value.
If after sitting there for a while, it looks like it's close to _CRT
(critical), then don't do that.  However, most of the time it should be
fine.

One of the things on my list is to add enough validity checks to
acpi_thermal that we can re-enable automatic shutdown -p when the box
hits _CRT.

> > > My goal is to get the lcd to turn off when I close the lid...anything more
> > > than that would be great too.
> >
> > My laptop also does scary things when I go into S-anything-other-than-5.  By
> > telling acpi to keep off the lid switch, I found that it just causes the lcd
> > to go off without triggering any acpi events.
> >
> > Try in loader.conf:
> >
> >   debug.acpi.disable="lid"
>
> Cool, I'll give that a shot.

That should just disable the one component that is giving you trouble,
leaving the rest of acpi available.

-Nate