When do files syncronize?

Dave Tweten tweten at nas.nasa.gov
Tue May 27 13:34:28 PDT 2003

metrol at metrol.net said:
>Is there some way to force outstanding writes to clear their buffers
>before I  put this box into sleep mode?

You don't really want sleep mode, you want hibernation.

I don'think either sleep or hibernation flushes buffers.  Sleep just
reduces, but does not eliminate power consumption.  Hibernation tells the
OS it's going to sleep, then copies the state of the processor and memory
to disk, and finally turns off the power.  When you next power up, the
BIOS restores processor and memory state and tells the OS to wake up.

To use hibernation, you'll have to get hold of the stand-alone program
from IBM that creates a hibernation slice for you.  That slice will be
slightly larger than the amount of memory you have installed in your
machine.  If you're planning for the possibility of a memory upgrade
eventually, it allows you to specify a larger amount of space to use.  I
got my copy at

	http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4PESMK.html

It has worked beautifully on both a ThinkPad X21 and on a few T23s.
Unfortunately, Win2k insists upon using its own hibernation file, rather
than using a hibernation partition (oops, slice) if one is available.
That wastes space on dual-boot machines.  Fortunately, T23s have a lot of
disk space to waste.

You really want to hibernate -- not sleep.  Good luck!
--
M/S 258-5                    |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten at nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center    | 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416