Choosing a new laptop

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Mon Jul 7 18:06:25 PDT 2003

Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at FreeBSD.org> probably said:
> The T22 was better than that, about 2 hours.

I get between 2 and 3.5 hours on the small internal battery of my X30
while using wireless, which is what I got (if I was lucky) with the
huge 3x battery on my previous Z505.

> The T22 has a feature which looks like a bug: it has separate video
> for the external output and the LCD screen.  Although I was working at
> IBM at the time, we weren't able to get it to display the same thing
> on both screens, but I always used my Dell for presentations.

Same thing in both places on my X30.

> The trackpoint is ugly.  I won't buy a laptop with it.  But I think
> the newer Thinkpads also have a touchpad.

Depends on preference, some people like trackpoints. I'm somewhat
ambivilent about points or pads at now. 3 mouse buttons is certainly
nice.

> Nope, see my complaints.  Is that different on your model?

I have yet to see a Fn key that you can remap on any laptop.
It works fully for me.

P.

pir                pir-sig at pir.net                 pir-sig at net.tufts.edu