Choosing a new laptop

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Jul 2 18:14:11 PDT 2003

I've decided it's time for a new laptop.  In the past I've been
relatively happy with Dell, but their web site is driving me to
distraction (want info about Latitudes?  Tell them you have a home
office and they'll give you Inspiron instead).  Questions to you:

1.  Which brand?
2.  Which model?

I use laptops when travelling and for presentations.  For the former I
want long battery life and high resolution (preferably 1600x1200).
For the latter I need something that will feed run-of-the-mill data
projectors at 1024x768 and with enough grunt to run an increasingly
lethargic Acrobat Reader without noticeable delay.  I'm suspicious of
the new wide screen versions because of potential problems with the
data projectors; if people can allay these concerns, I'd be quite
happy to have a wide-screen model.  I also want a keyboard which I can
remap and a touchpad which works; a third mouse button would, of
course, be a good idea.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key