could anybody bring me up to date on psm0 and synaptic touchpad compatibility?

Shadoe shadoe at shadoegrounds.com
Wed Dec 3 20:51:32 PST 2003

>On 2003-11-29 17:44 -0800, Jason Goddard wrote:
>

>>I have been curious to find out if psm0 is now compatible
>>with the ps2 synaptics touchpad and if yes what mode does it support...
>>
>>plus which features does it support
>>finally if there is docs for extended features.
>>
>>help would be deeply appreciated

I had been struggling with this for weeks, compiling and recompiling my
kernel,  enabling and disabling moused. etc etc
I have a dell inspiron 1100 running 4.9 RELEASE,  I googled and found a
few things to try,  I disabled moused first of all.
then in my XF86Config I have:
Identifier   "Synaptics"
Driver       "mouse"
Option "Protocol"   "auto"
Option "Device"     "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
(because I changed the identifier to "Synaptics" also made sure to
change that in layout section)
In my kernel config I have this line for keyboard and psm0
device         atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device         atkbd0   at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device         psm0     at atkbdc? irq12 flags 0x1000

recompiled kernel for the thousandth time. rebooted...
noted psm0 showed up in the boot messages (YAY)
did moused -p /dev/psm0 (nearly had a heart attack when it didnt say
"device not configured")
vidcontrol -m on
pointer appeared in console and worked! started X and finally have a
working touchpad.
Im still slightly in shock,  first got fullscreen 24 bit display in X on
this thing last night and tonight finally got touchpad working,  no more
external mouse :)
Well that was what worked for me,  I havent looked into any special
options on it,  as I am just thrilled its working at all.
Hope it helps someone else too
Cheers,
Michelle