CompactFlash Bluetooth

Maksim Yevmenkin m_evmenkin at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 13:02:37 PDT 2003

Alexander,

> > > Has anybody used this beast with a PC-Card CompactFlash adapter?
> >
> > well, there are CompactFlash to PC-Card adapters, for example
>
> Yes, I have one of those.

good. what happes when you plug the card? does FreeBSD sees it at all?
can you dump CIS?

> > but even if you buy such adapter then you will need drivers for your
> > Bluetooth CompactFlash card. i need to know more about the card before
> > i can give you an answer. model? manufacturer? does it work on windows?
>
> There are quite a few cards on the market now. Have a look at this one:
> http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3042632186&category=19578
>
> In the description it says that the card may be used in any WinCE PDA
> or Notebook using PCMCIA adapter. That's why I asked if anybody used
> it on BSD.
> So you say that some special driver is needed.. This makes it less
> attractive than USB dongle. And it is much more expensive anyway.

you *may* require special driver. it depends. Bluetooth devices usually
come with one of the following interfaces: USB, RS-232 and UART (serial).
PC-Cards usually have UART interface (i have Xircom and 3Com cards). now
if UART is standard (i.e. NS 16550, etc. like in Xircom card) then sio(4)
driver will support it, so when you plug the card you will get another
serial port (modem). if the card hash non-standard UART (like 3com card)
then you need a special driver for the card.

anyway, i think that Bluetooth PC-Cards is a mess, so i would recommend
to stay away from them. USB devices is your best bet.

thanks,
max