Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Aug 13 15:10:37 PDT 2003

Hello,

> the extra battery works on my T30 with apm

Ok. I'll see if I can get APM to work. When I once tried disabling ACPI (by
choosing the appropriate option at the standard boot menu) it wouldn't boot
at all, but hang a bit into the process (before starting any userland apps).

> no. is is either apm or acpi. if you enable both, acpi will detect apm
> running and disable it, as far as I know.

Hmm. So not even just typing 'apm' and getting battery info should work if
apm is disabled? Because the 'apm' command has always worked for me, while
the acpiconf command simultaneously works (and the acpi sysctls have effect,
such as the cpu speed setting).

> try disabling acpi completely and see if the battery then works. on T30ies,
> apm is still the way to go, acpi does not function properly enough yet.

Will do.

> the interesting part is that you do not have other acpi issues, is that
> correct? does suspend, resume, hibernate, temperature, battery and
> throttle control all work for you, modulo the above errors?

Sorta. Only S3/S4/S5 suspend is supported according to the sysctl output. In
actual practice, suspending at level 3 works but the usb controller driver
complains and disables all ports when resuming (and there are some
non-fatal IDE errors). Also, after the resume the system is
completely "lagged out". Sort of as if I was maxing out 4 IDE drivers
running in PIO mode at the same time. Typing characters at the
console yields responses in "bursts" and the system in general is quite slow
even after allowing for the burst effect. My wild and uneducated guess is
that there is some kernel process running amok or similar, or some kind
of interrupt craze going on on the part of one of the devices.

Also the lid open/close handling works, except I gen an error about
missing AE methods instead of actual suspend. But that, I assume, is
because it's set to suspend to level 1, which is not supported. I
haven't played much with this so far.

(Suspending when closing the lid is not something I actually want, however
it would appear that the handling of the open/close events works even if
it's set to the wrong suspend level. If you are interested I can try with S3.)

Anyways. This suspend issue is the "other" thing I was gonna post to the
list about, but I felt I wanted to experiment a bit more first.

Thanks!

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrival: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org