Hot swap of bay devices [IBM T30]

Lukas Ertl l.ertl at univie.ac.at
Tue Aug 12 12:15:40 PDT 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Tobias Roth wrote:

> encouraged by the recent reports of hot-swapping bay devices, i
> tried the following on my IBM T30 (recent -current):
>
>  - booting with the drive
>  - atacontrol detach 1
>  - removing the drive
>  - reinserting the drive
>  - atacontrol attach 1
>  - mounting a cdrom

This works on my T20, too.

> the above sequence works repeatedly, but with one annoyance:
> whenever the drive gets inserted during runtime, the machine
> starts to beep and doesn't stop until the drive gets removed.
> this does not interfer with normal operation, however.

I always do a suspend/resume to stop the beep.  *Sometimes* that crashes
the machine. :-)

> the following did not work:
>
>  - booting without the drive
>  - inserting the drive
>  - atacontrol attach 1
>
> the drive did not show up.

That's what I'm experiencing, too.

regards,
le

Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl at univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Vienna University Computer Center      Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
University of Vienna                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/