Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

Andy Sparrow spadger at best.com
Mon Aug 11 23:20:34 PDT 2003

> > > Are you swapping the CDROM and battery while FreeBSD is booted? FreeBSD
> > > does not handle this at all and will get really upset if you attempt it.
> >
> > Really? 4.x with APM handles swapping between a secondary HDD, CD-ROM,
> > DVD & DVD/CD-RW in the secondary bay on my Omnibook just fine.
>
> I'd count you lucky.

Perhaps. Although I've done it sufficient numbers of times without
incident that I don't consider it luck, rather working as designed.

I don't really see how useful ATAPI RAID support is without the ability
to hot-swap devices?

And, as atapicontrol seems to be geared mostly towards that, well...

>  BTW don't upgrade to 5.X if you want to keep your
> sanity -- HP's ACPI code does NOT work.

Certainly never used to. I got rid of the 6100 I bought because I
couldn't get sound and PC cards working at the same time with 4-STABLE
or 5.x...

Cheers,

AS