ACPI on Compaq Presario 702EA Laptop

Rudolph Pereira memetical at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 11 12:19:57 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:37:40PM +0200, Wilhem Meignan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have FreeBSD 5.1 RELEASE on my laptop and I have some questions regarding ACPI.
>
> It seems that by default, the CPU (AMD Duron) is always running at maximum speed.  Also, I think that normally a thermal zone has to be detected and its parameters accessible through sysctl, right?
> This is not the case on my laptop.  I don't have any information concerning thermal zones accessible through sysctl.  I have read somewhere that with ACPI the OS is responsible for turning on and off the active cooling devices.  What does FreeBSD does when no thermal zone is detected?  The behaviour I have observed is that, at first, the fan is turned off then, when the computer has warmed up it is turned on and doesn't seems to stop anymore.

I have a compaq presario 720 (au). I believe it is the same 7xx series
as yours, hence the same internals (apart from cpu?).
As far as I know, this laptop does not have thermal zones*. Furthurmore,
since freebsd does not currently support low-power hardware/cpu states, your
fans (and your cpu) will operate at full power all the time.

* both linux and freebsd suggest this, from the lack of information
about thermal zones that is normally there.