Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

Andy Sparrow spadger at best.com
Mon Aug 11 01:12:54 PDT 2003

> Are you swapping the CDROM and battery while FreeBSD is booted? FreeBSD
> does not handle this at all and will get really upset if you attempt it.

Really? 4.x with APM handles swapping between a secondary HDD, CD-ROM,
DVD & DVD/CD-RW in the secondary bay on my Omnibook just fine.

I never managed to obtain a secondary battery so haven't tried that -
but I'd expect disabling/ejecting/inserting dissimilar mass storage
devices to make the OS cranky if anything did.

I thought that was what atacontrol detach/attach were intended for...
Does this not exist on 5.x?

Cheers,

AS