Extra battery causes hangs (T40p, FreeBSD 5.1/CURRENT)

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Aug 11 00:51:53 PDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Peter Schuller wrote:

> The laptop comes with one primary battery and, as an opion, an extra battery
> that fits into the "Ultra Bay" (replacing the CD-ROM). As I realized after
> some time, the presence of the extra battery causes hangs. When I have the
> CD-ROM in the bay instead of the extra battery, there are no such problems.
> But when the battery is in, the machine hangs totally when:

Are you swapping the CDROM and battery while FreeBSD is booted? FreeBSD
does not handle this at all and will get really upset if you attempt it.

> I assume this has something to do with ACPI events or something simiar
> coming in when such actions are taken. The question is why it happens with
> the extra battery but not without it.

You'd have to examine the DSDT table (and perhaps other namespace tables,
and dmesg)  to see exactly how the code path changes.  Typically, though,
the ACPI device tree already has space reserved for two batteries even if
one is not present.

> acpi_cmbat0: <Control method Battery> on acpi0
> acpi_cmbat1: <Control method Battery> on acpi0

ok so both battery slots do register.