802.11b/802.11g access points

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Sun Aug 10 07:08:06 PDT 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> I'm looking for a couple of access points for my house.  Since it's a
> new installation, they should be able to do both 802.11b and 802.11g,
> and they should be able to do transparent bridging.  I don't know if
> the latter requirement limits things.  It would also be nice to be
> able to configure them without Microsoft.

You can try checking out the Linksys WRT54G or the WAP54G:

  http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508
  http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=505

I'm not sure about transparent bridging, but you can download
the documents on it and check it out.

I use the WRT54G at home and haven't had any problems other than
having to upgrade its firmware.  It is configurable from http
so you don't need windoze.  You can upload its firmware from
from the embedded http server, but that only seemed to work
from windoze.  The WRT54G runs some version of Linux and the
price is pretty good; you can find them for less than $100 US.

--
Dan Eischen