wi0_cmd: busy bit won't clear

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Sat Aug 9 07:29:10 PDT 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 03:38:42PM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> >

> > I just got that (wi0_cmd: busy bit won't clear) today when
> > booting with my DWL-650H inserted.  I've seen it before also,
> > so I wasn't sure if it was an issue with recent changes or not.
> >
> > I worked around it by removing it and then reinserting it
> > and manually ifconfig'ing it.  My normal setup is to have
> > dhclient run on it at boot up.  So try rebooting without
> > the card inserted and then insert it and manually configuring
> > it (if you haven't already tried).
>
> You mean remove the card totally ?

Yes, physically remove it then boot.  Once the system is
up, then reinsert it.  ifconfig is supposed to be used
now instead of wicontrol.  Try setting the ssid first,
then check to see that it got set, then give it its
address and netmask:

  # ifconfig wi0 ssid SSID
  # ifconfig wi0
  # ifconfig wi0 inet IPADDR netmask NETMASK
  # ifconfig wi0

> I triedto remove the ifconfig_wi0=DHCP in rc.conf
> and ifconfig the card manually (I had a wicontrol -i wi0 -q SSID in
> /etc/rc.local)

The way to do this is to add:

  ifconfig wi0 ssid SSID

in /etc/start_if.wi0.  If you try to run dhclient on it
before setting the SSID, you'll almost certainly get the
wi0_cmd timeouts; at least I do.  Also, if your DHCP server
goes down (I turn mine off at night at home) and the
laptop tries to renew the lease without the DHCP server
online, you'll also get the cmd timeouts.

Warner (imp@) is the PCCard guy :-)

> > > Also I got strange (-160) **** can't allocate 0 bytes messages during boot
> > > (while running as single user)
>
> These were -166 UtAllocate .... messages. Don't kn ow where they com from.
> But it seems you know them and when they are harmless....

ACPI related.  Lots of folks get these messages.  There are work-arounds
but it involves dumping your ACPI stuff, editing it, and overriding
the computer's ACPI with your edited version (specifying it somehow
in /boot/loader.conf).  That's the general idea anyways; I've never
done it.

--
Dan Eischen