FBSD-5.1-RELEASE, Sony Vaio PCG-505TR, Linksys Combo (EC2T) PC-Card or Adaptec SlimSCSI 1460D PC-Card

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Aug 5 08:16:58 PDT 2003

In message: <20030801184743.GA27280 at crawfish.ais.com>
            Jim Knoble <jmknoble+freebsd-mobile at pobox.com> writes:
: Hi, all.  Trying to install FreeBSD-5.1 on a Sony Vaio PCG-505TR
: (Pentium MMX 300MHz, 128MB RAM, external floppy, no CD-ROM, single Type
: II PC-Card slot).  Having trouble with the following:
:
:   (1) Net install using Linksys Combo EthernetCard (EC2T).  This card
:       is detected by the ed driver (as ed1), but the card appears to
:       want IRQ 9, which doesn't work on this laptop.  I've tried
:       setting a device hint ("set hints.ed.1.irq=11" in the
:       bootloader), but FreeBSD still gives it IRQ 9.  How can i tell
:       FreeBSD to give it IRQ 11?
:
:       Same thing goes for my Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC-Card.

You must use IRQ 9.  What do you mean "which doesn't work on this
laptop?"  The reason it is forcing IRQ 9 is that it is using PCI
interrupts, and those are shared between the cardbus bridges and the
cards taht are inserted into them.

: | cbb0: <RF5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge> at device 10.0 on pci0
: | cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
: | pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
: | pci_cfgintr: 0:10 INTA routed to irq 9

If IRQ 9 is the wrong thing to route here, then you'll need to add a
hint to route the right thing.  If your laptop had ACPI the following
would work:

hw.acpi.pci.link.0.10.0.irq=11
hw.acpi.pci.link.0.10.1.irq=11

but I don't see that you have acpi in the dmesg.  So you need to use a
recent -current snapshot which supports a little better control of
which IRQs get used.

: | Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
: | fault virtual address  = 0xc902b000
: | fault code             = supervisor read, page not present
: | instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xc01c5f51
: | stack pointer          = 0x10:0xc90119ac
: | frame pointer          = 0x10:0xc9011be8
: | code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
: |                        = DPL 0, pres 1 def32 1, gran 1
: | processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
: | current process        = 6 (cbb0)
: | trap number            = 12
: | panic: page fault

I'm not sure what is causing this.